inconsistent program behavior, fresh eyes needed

От Emil Pedersen
Тема inconsistent program behavior, fresh eyes needed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello list!

I'll try to keep this short, if any more info is needed just ask.

I have a program that is supposed to parse standard log files
and act on specific lines.
  It mostly does what it's supposed to, but if I run it a couple
of time, using the same input data, some of the results differ.

If someone could find out what is wrong with them I would be most
greatefull.  Due to the length (c version is ~230 lines, python
version ~130) I didn't know if it was ok to post them, so I've put
them and the test data on
    http://83.253.255.25/tmp/

[Some more background]

I wrote a python version with psycopg2 as "glue" to postgres and
this is where I noticed the behavior.  Since I couldn't spot the
error in my program but did find a bug ubuntu reports regarding
psycopg2 I suspected the debian version might be affected to and
asked on debian-python[1].

While trying to find out what was wrong I re-wrote the program in
c/libpq, and it still behaves the same way so the fault has to be
in my program.
  I don't know if I am using libpq in some wrong way (and I know
that the program is a mess), but I would expect the program to
produce the same result every time given its simplicity.

I have tested on two different computers,  one debian/etch i386
and one debian/etch amd64.  I've also tested with two different
versions os psycopg2 while trying to rule it out or prove it
broken.

[1]
http://teams.debian.net/lurker/message/20080717.145350.2ba26912.en.html

Sincerely yours,
        Emil

Сообщение: Re: COPY between 7.4.x and 8.3.x
Сообщение: Re: COPY between 7.4.x and 8.3.x